Friday, October 18, 2013

Progress is always amazing to witness.

I have said for the last two years that we have come a long way.  Tonight we have passed one of the biggest hurdles for my sweet Corbin.

Corbin has been terrified of fire, fireworks, and loud noises all of his life. Even the mention of fireworks has been cause for complete meltdown.

Tonight we read the notice on the side of the mailbox saying that there were going to be fireworks.  My first thought was in line with previous years...Oh crap.  Diego however has not experienced Corbin's wrath and he was pretty sure Corbin was going to be just fine.

Midway through the afternoon Corbin decided to tell us that he wasn't afraid of anything. Which then was turned and used against him.

D: So if you aren't afraid of anything you won't have any reason to be afraid later tonight when they are going to have fireworks right?

C:  Nope.

I wasn't going to hold my breath on that one.  I was willing to let someone else try to reason with the unreasonable.

Throughout the afternoon Corbin asked a few questions about when the fireworks would be and watched the time.

At 8:45 pm the fireworks started.  He peeked his head outside a little saw a few of the fireworks, plugged his ears, and came back in.

C:  That is really loud.

(After I was told I needed to calm down) I asked him if he wanted to go outside with me.  A little reluctantly he let me lead him outside with his ears plugged and leaning on me, Corbin watched his very first fireworks show.  No screaming, biting, kicking or looking away.  Tonight I was able to witness my little boy breaking through a huge fear!  We have come a long way baby.

C:  I have six words for you mom....O.M.G.!  That was AWESOME!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment